How to make serious tax savings as a business owner

Member News

FED UP with the Autumn Statement, never-ending tax rises, endless red tape and over-burdensome regulations and legislation? Do you ever wonder whether all of the sacrifices and hard work you have put in to become successful were worth it?

Well, the good news is that there remain numerous ways to save taxation legitimately. You just need to know where to go to get the right professional advice.

There remain some serious tax-saving opportunities if you take tax advice from the top tax specialists. Fees will be expensive but the tax savings will dwarf the fees. It is very much an added-value service. It is also not the type of tax advice you will get from a run of the mill firm of accountants.

This is sophisticated tax advice for wealthy individuals who have wealth of at least £5 million. It is especially suitable for business owners and property entrepreneurs.

Advice is bespoke for each client because everybody’s personal situation is different so different tools need to be used from the toolkit for each scenario. Vehicles such as overseas pensions – Qualifying Non-UK Pension Scheme (QNUPS) and Qualifying Recognised Overseas Pension Scheme (QROPS) – overseas business succession trusts, Exempt Property Unit Trusts (EPUTS), UK limited companies, family business partnerships, Limited Liability Partnerships, family investment companies and UK limited companies are among the solutions proffered.

All of these solutions are legitimate UK structures.

When taking advice it is critical to ensure that the solution recommended is pre-approved by HMRC and reapproved annually.

RISK WARNINGThe Financial Conduct Authority does not regulate taxation advice, tax planning or trusts. The value of your investments (and any income from them) can go down as well as up and you may not get back the full amount invested. The tax implications of advice will be based on your individual circumstances, tax legislation and case law as well as regulations which are subject to change. You should always seek tax advice from a taxation specialist in order to understand your options. This article is based on my own observations and opinions.

Tony Byrne

Chartered and Certified Financial Planner

Managing Director of Wealth and Tax Management

If you are interested in making serious tax savings contact Wealth and Tax Management on 01908 523740 or email